The world does not need fossil fuels and nuclear energy. What we need is a big, visionary measure to turn around the global trend towards runaway climate change.
This plan needs political will to make it happen.
- Make sure emissions peak in 2015/16 and decrease as rapidly as possible towards zero after that,
- Developed countries must make cuts of 40 percent on their 1990 carbon emisisons by 2020,
- Developing countries must slow the growth of emissions by 15-30 percent by 2020, with support from industrialised nations,
- Protect tropical forests with a special funding mechanism - forests for climate,
- Replace dirty fossil fuel energy with renewable energy and energy efficiency,
- Reject false solutions like nuclear energy.